Aug 15, 2008

Book Club Mania



It all began when I learned about Melissa and Andrew's book club in Ottawa. They got together with friends at a local coffee shop and discussed a portion of Augustine's Confessions. I realized that I was missing out. Thankfully, Erik and Mac agreed to form a Wausau Chapter (I know..I know its small) We've chosen the Russian classic Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Perhaps it should be placed on your "Must read before death" lists. The reading experience has been greatly enhanced by having freakishly intelligent people in the book club with me and some friendly accountability to read the next chapter.

People! Book clubs are so great! I propose you start one now. Here are the simple steps to beginning a fabulous book club.

1-Start talking to your friends about it. See if you have any dream reads in common. ex. "I've always wanted to read War and Peace, but I can't!" Make sure to recruit at least 2 English/Philosophy/Anthropology types so you can listen to their analysis.
2-Choose a book. Preferably a good one. Research the most excellent translation.
3-Choose a time, preferably on a Friday right after work, to meet and purchase the books together. This builds group unity. Then go out for pizza after you buy your books and think about how cool your book club will be.
4-Meet once a week and discuss the characters, plot, epic themes and hilarious moments.

Book Club Wausau is currently researching our second book choice. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm thrilled to see you posting again..I hope it continues. :)