Nov 25, 2006

Sugar Cane



When I was a little girl in Papua New Guinea we ate sugar cane sometimes. For a few weeks here the street vendors around campus had huge sticks of sugar cane, which they would strip with a machete, and then hand to you. I decided to get some for old times sake, and lo and behold...it tastes the same as I remembered! I didn't remember how "wood-like" it was however. I got a splinter.

This week's Thanksgiving celebration reminded me of my childhood too. I met a little girl whose parents work here in China. She has blonde hair and blue eyes. Thanksgiving morning I was playing with her outside and people stopped and stared and tried to come talk to her wherever we went. She took it in stride and sometimes answered their questions and sometimes just continued her playing. I don't remember this, but my parents said that when I was in PNG I had someone come up to me and lick me to see what a white person tasted like.

Glad I remember the sugar cane instead.

No comments: