Oct 10, 2006

The Lazy Susan and Living in Community




I have rediscovered the lazy susan. It previously existed in my distant past, as I faintly remembered using it during taco night as a child. Now, the lazy susan serves as an important symbol in my life. In China, lazy susans are as common as chopsticks. They spin around and you pick up a few bites of food with your chopsticks. If someone needs something your favorite food may go spinning by. Your meal is directly affected by the needs and wants of others. China is a communal society. The needs of the group are more important than the needs of the individual. I am also living in community, where I am learning about the needs of others and trying to put them before my own. One day we went out to dinner with about 20 people. We sat around a
huge circular table and used a lazy susan the size of the moon. At one point the susan was spun vigorously (think Wheel of Fortune crank) and everyone just tried to grab whatever they could as the dishes went spinning by. Those with poor chopstick
skills were left hungry. I don't think that is how the community of the lazy susan is supposed to work.

No comments: